I'd bought some lovely placemats from Dunelm but they had sold out of the matching coasters and I hadn't found any others that I liked in the shops. I vaguely remembered pinning a coaster tutorial or two on my Sewing: Small Projects Pinterest board and I have pretty fat quarters coming out my ears so I decided to make some myself.
In the tutorial each quilted square is sewn separately and tied off at the back. I didn't really fancy tying all those fiddly knots so I did the quilting in one continuous line of stitching (SEE PIC) and then just had the two ends to tie off. I then threaded the ends through a needle and buried them in the middle of the coaster so they're no loose ends on either side, yay!.
The tutorial also had you iron on the batting all the way to the edge. I decided to do it to the edge of the coaster rather than the fabric (as above) to reduce bulk at the edges.
|The finished item!|
I'm really pleased with how these turned out and I might just have to make a few more, I always seem to need more coasters!